Monday, September 17, 2012

The Public Should Not Have to Demand the Labeling of GMO's

 I do not know about you, but I actually put my cell phone to use while shopping.  Perhaps you have seen me.  I am the one in the aisle holding a bottle or carton of something making a call to the company with a pen in my hand.  I ask if this particular product has been irradiated.  If the answer is yes, I hang up, place the item back on the shelf, and proceed to the next brand.  If the answer is no, I ask my next question.  "Is it organic?"  Same process, my next question being, "Does it have any GMO's in it?"  If the answer is no to being irradiated and to having no GMO's and is organic, I am practically doing cartwheels at this rare phenomenon.  It is sad but true, though, that the public should have to demand the labeling of GMO's and other such things on food labels. 

It seems to me, a non-psychopathic/non-legislator, that it is common sense to inform the public about the state of food products purchased at the local store.  Since it is not common sense, my advise to you is never sit back and assume a company would place a word like "GMO's" or "Irradiated"on the label.  Further, if a considerable amount of time has past since the last time you purchased that brand, ask the three questions again.  It would be so helpful to me if companies could just label their products as being what they are.  Prop 37 does promise to help us a little by requesting, at least, the labeling of GMO's.

According to Gretchen DuBeau, the Executive and Legal Director of Alliance of Natural Health USA,
"Over 90% of American voters support the labeling of GMOs. Nearly 1,000,000 Californians put the 'California Right to Know Genetically Engineered Food Act'—aka Prop 37, which would require the labeling of all foods containing genetically modified organisms—on the ballot this Election Day."  It is absolutely ridiculous that citizens have to struggle to get something like GMO labeling of food accomplished.  We have to fight for our right to know what's going on with the food on the shelves at the store.  It is ludicrous!  Since your not too clear-thinking legislators need you to spell it out to them, please vote for Prop 37 so we can read "GMO's" clearly for ourselves on food products in stores. 

No comments:

Post a Comment