Wednesday, February 10, 2010

No Television!

My daughter stayed home from elementary school today. She has a nasty, spasmotic cough. Although I could blog about how neat it was watching heat come out of her during her treatment, I want to blog about sick kids staying home from school and not watching t.v.

Andreas Moritz says that watching t.v. dehydrates its viewers. I do not know if that is true or not, but imagine if it is. Mommy's little patient is most likely dehydrated enough without adding to the dilema.

Then there is Ted Andrews who says, "The importance of myths and tales in the evolutionary process of a people or individual has been overlooked in modern society. Children in more ancient times were schooled in the listening arts." The reason I mention this is because kids today watch stories. They do not close their eyes and visualize the unfolding drama as we used to do when I was a kid.

So today I pulled out my 1967 South African record called "PollyWollyWog", my 1960 British "The Beatrix Potter Stories", and a rather recent purchase my 1952 American "Winnie the Pooh". She listened for quite awhile. Then, a true child from this century, she requested peace and quiet. After giving her her wish, I heard the t.v. come on.

Oh, well. At least for awhile, she lay on her side without any coughing and journeyed to the Game Reserve, to McGregor's garden, and to the Hundred Ache Forrest.

No comments:

Post a Comment