Monday, October 5, 2009

Mandatory Vaccination

Recently, my friend’s non-health care employer (not in CA) demanded that the whole firm be vaccinated against the “Swine flu”. The employees were led to beleive that it was mandated, but after 50% of the employees refused, the adminisration admitted that being vaccinated was just “strongly advised”.

Thankfully, I reside in a state that allows school waivers for those who do not wish their kids to be vaccinated. So far, I am not aware of employees being forced to have the H1N1 vaccine, or lose their jobs. In 2005, mandatory flu vaccinations were demanded of nurses in Washington. The nurses won. Recently, in Albany, NY, healthcare workers were threatened with losing their jobs if they didn't succumb to pressure to have the Swine Flu shot by November 30. On October 23, 2009, the regulation was supposedly suspended when it was realized that there was not enough of the vaccine. In actuality, an Albany judge "halted enforcement of the rule in reponse to a lawsuit filed by three nurses," said Claudia Hutton, a spokesperson for the State Health Department. The thing that is confusing to me is that all 50 states make up the US, so why would someone not have freedom to choose?

Obviously, there are groups out there who think vaccines are good, helpful things. They are perhaps concerned that unvaccinated people will make them sick. If they get the shot and believe in it so much, then how can what I do or not do be of any concern to them? Fear should never be a motivating factor for anything. Even though this blog is about mandatory vaccinations and not against vaccinations themselves, I invite you to research percentages on those who have not had shots and don’t get the disease, as well as those who have had shot s and still get the disease, only usually in a worse form.

I have many stories around doctors trying to force various vaccines on me through the years. I want to tell you one related to my daughter, because it relates to the disease changing if in a vaccinated person. Before my daughter could be enrolled in kindergarten, I had to take her to her doctor (who she hasn’t seen since because she has stayed in the same school). The gentleman pored over her thin file, looked up at me and said, “Has anyone talked to you about vaccinations?”


“No, and I’d rather they didn’t.” (I had researched the subject thoroughly fifteen years before I even met my daughter’s father and have logged a few more years of research since.)

“Well,” he continued, “Do you know that three kids died of measles last year?” (This is a common ploy of pediatricians- try to induce fear in the uneducated mother.)

“Was it Atypical Measles?” (I am not an uneducated mother.)

“Ah,” he stumbled, “Ah, well, yes.”

“So that means the three who died were vaccinated.”

He was silent to my statement, not a question. (Atypical Measles occurs in those who have been vaccinated against measles. I personally prefer measles.)

I asked, “Could you please write on the chart that we’ve had the vaccination talk? Thanks.”

It really doesn’t matter whether we are in agreement on the vaccination issue, or not. What’s important here, is a person’s right to choose what’s best on an individual basis, is being threatened. A group at Care2 have started a petition refusing the idea of mandatory vaccinations. I ask you to go to the Care2 website, do a search on their site for refuse and resist mandatory vaccinations, read the petition and see if you are in agreement. If you are, then please join their efforts to get to 50,000 signatures with a click. With as many people as are here in the US, and with as many people who say they believe in Freedom, I would think people would be willing to sign provided the words meet their standards. I am now receiving Care2 action alerts about various atrocities, so beware of that if you’re not interested in receiving e-mails.
Their web address is http://www.thepetitionsite.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment